Yes. I am left-handed since birth. I’ve never regretted being a left-handed man despite over many of the world products like office desks and furniture, several cars, tailor scissors, golf or hockey sticks, some cutlery like peelers, and other products in the world favouring right-handed people more than us. This as always given us, the left-handed people, a busy mind to fix ourselves into the complex situations to have things done right, our own way. If you’re reading this, you may end up being shocked about the uniqueness of left handers.
13th August is the International Left Hander’s Day.
Based on discussions among members of the UK Left-Hander Club, 1 in 4 Apollo astronauts were left-handed.
Lefties are generally more intelligent, better looking, imaginative and multi-talented than right handers – But before I get into more of that, let me share my story and musings of being unique from right handers.
I don’t talk a lot. I don’t know if this is related to being a leftie… But I can write thoughtfully like on Tumblr, and other platforms!
1. In elementary/primary school, friends used to give me stones to throw at birds or geckos on our way to school or home, because they believed left handers are sharp shooters – That’s true.
2. It was conflicts every time I sat on the wrong side of the desk in class. Either of our deskmates would nudge the others’ writing hand.
3. I’ve very good handwriting. It’s not me alone but also with numerous left handers worldwide.
This school liked my work!
4. There’s always abnormal attention (or rather shock) from right handed people people when left handers are doing some tasks. They wonder. They ask questions like “How can you do that, is it possible with your left hand? “
” Angeeatalitu? ”
5. I’ve been forced by some righties to change my hand while giving out money. They believe that receiving money from a left hand is a bad luck.
6. High level of accuracy ensues left handers’ tasks. I recall my first formal job in an Non Governmental Organization. I was told by my supervisor to have 1 or 2 weeks of teaching and orientations on the basics of my job.
It took him only minutes in a shade and thereafter I performed “perfectly,” (as he used to complement me) despite using Macintosh Operating System X, which was my very first time using it, as opposed to Microsoft Windows.
Is it because 4 of the 5 original designers of the Macintosh computer were left-handed? 🙂 As stated in lefthandersday.com numerous intelligence and uniqueness of lefties have been stated.
7. Its not about showing off. I’ve been the best student since High School all the way up to College. I’ve made a bit of history in 2009 in Kapsengere High School – being a leading student that year in KCSE. In College 2012, I sat Kenya National Examination Council exams for National Diploma in ICT (Module I) and I emerged the best in the College we sat it. I’ve read that lefties are very witty, artistic and think three-dimensional than righties. See here!
“We’re better at divergent thinking, a method of idea generation that explores many possible solutions.” Research shows. Is this why I am looking for solutions to this community?
Despite rejection facing left handed people in some African Communities and Religions, I am celebrating World Left Hander’s People Day today.
There’s evidence that lefties are very successful and prosperous people and I am in.
I am one in Kenya, with His Excellency the President of the Republic of Kenya Uhuru Kenyatta, Lady Laura Chinchilla who’s the President of Costa Rica, Israel’s prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Nigeria Lagos State Governor, Raji Babatunde Fashola, and others.
According to everydayhealth.com…
The lengthy list of left-handed leaders includes four of the last seven commanders in chief — President Obama, Bill Clinton, George H.W. Bush, and Gerald Ford — as well as past presidents James Garfield and Harry Truman.
In fact, there’s a rumor that Ronald Regan was born a leftie, but stringent schoolteachers converted him to a righty when he was young.
See also : My First Journey to Nax
Do you want to KNOW you’re Left Handed?
>> Interlock your fingers, which thumb is on the top?
>> Fold your arms. Which one is on top?
>> Stand straight. Now rotate around. Which leg moved first?
>> When you work with both hands equally, which hand never gets tired easily and feels light on the task?
>> (Add your observation in Comments)
N/B: The only thing my right hand does most and best is handling typing and dialling my phone!
Are you a leftie but you use your phone more on your right hand?
13th August – Celebrating My Left Hand