The gate is part of our welcoming centre and plans to revamp our Nandi’s tourism potential. We have recently mapped out 66 viable tourism sites.
~ Governer Cleophas Lagat.
Situated in Mlango Centre, the controversial gate has
received a furious backlash from the residents of Nandi against its government that allegedly allocated unconfirmed 50 millions shillings to a mere gate. Other sources claim 30 million and some 20 million.
Governer for Nandi County Hon. Cleophas Lagat has since refuted the now infamous claims by the public that the Mlango gate was allocated 20 Million in the recently passed County Budget for 2015/16 financial Year.
He said the project had been allocated 14.5 million shillings and termed it as “welcoming centre” which the county’s Tourism department intends to use as a gateway to Nandi from Uasin Gishu.
The 14.5M funds is broken down to the following projects, according to the budget.
- A fuel station at the gate.
- An entrance column.
- A tourism information centre.
- Curio shops.
THE PUBLIC FEELING ABOUT THE GATE:
1. The controversial gate was not allocated the 14.5 million like reported by Cleophas Lagat recently to the invited journalists. The public believes that the previously leaked amount said to be above 30 million shillings was indeed the initial allocation.
2. The article written by Rael Jelimo on Standard Newspaper dated 6/7/2015 titled “Governer clarifies cost of gate” is believed to be used to manipulate the public to accept 14.5M and not the 20M, written on the same news article.
3. The county-wide outcry believes the gate was used as a scapegoat to embezzle funds. Until now, construction of above dot points that accompany the gate has not started.
4. Many residents of Nandi have seen the gate and have termed it as a “mere gate” implying that the gate is substandard from observation. In this case therefore, the governor’s amount cannot still quantify the standard of the gate including the construction of curio shops, fuel filling station, tourism information centre and the pedestrian walkway! 14.5M will be insufficient to construct all the said structures!!
5. With all these colliding information and sluggish and stalled developments… it is evident that the Lagat administration and ilk is very corrupt.
5. Reccomendation: To STOP CORRUPTION, a group of a public watchdog CBO should be formed/enacted so that the voice of the people of Nandi can be represented in a formal way. Allegations of this level of impunity deserves a court case filed a group/lobby. Such mysterious budget allocations deserves independent audit investigations for Nandi People to see justice done to them. #OperationRescueNandi.
Are you part of the family?
To get first-hand classified information from Arise Nandi be email, below, follow this site by mail and join over 2000 subscribers!
Have Your Say – Comment below in the box!